February 08, 2010

First Days in Oman

Hello!

Finally made it to the Sultanate of Oman (by way of Abu Dhabi airport). Thank you Etihad, for a wonderful transatlantic flight! I must say, Etihad airways has so far been the best way to fly across the pond.

Here’s why: from the moment of booking and re-scheduling my departure ticket online, this airline was customer-friendly and accessible. First of all, I’d like to make a few remarks on accessibility. Customer Service was speedy and reliable, and they actually made the effort to reach me and double-check everything with me after I re-scheduled my booking. Etihad maintains a very user-friendly, easy-to-navigate website and are very considerate, offering about 7 or more meal options for picky passengers.

This is just before departure. This is a fairly new airline, in existence for only 5 years or so, therefore their carriers are also in good condition: the seats were very wide, everything was very clean and up-to-date technologically. The best movie selection, hands down... and even a variety of news channels was offered. The flight crew was very nice, and most importantly, efficient and truly international

Customs was rather interesting, as I had to purchase a visa upon entry to Oman, and to do it I needed Omani Rials (pegged to the US dollar, OR 1 = USD2.7) but at the visa register, the customs officials asked my classmate and me whether we had ‘Arab friends’. Ahem. Tastaqbaloon ila ‘oman! : )

The first few days in the capital city were really exciting, with sightseeing, 5:30 am prayer wake-up calls from the adjacent mosque, bartering in the aromatic and excitingly cheap souk, and night walks along the bay in Muscat’s much-photographed tourist district. I think what I will miss the most is the 18 % ‘sacs’ in our morning orange Rani; it was a great breakfast conversation starter. I will write more about the Grand Mosque, the museums, the Sultan Qaboos University, the Fish Market, the Muttrah Souk and the Quornish later on, once I have all the relevant photos sorted out. Let me just say that this city is fascinating and much more multidimensional than even Lonely Planet would have you believe...Although I can’t slight Lonely Planet, they have never ceased to provide priceless information tips to all of their readers.


No comments:

Post a Comment