January 13, 2010

15 Days

Hello!
The doomsday title is just a deadline. There are 15 days left before I have to leave NYC to go to Oman, and the idea is very frightening at this point. I'm not scared of going to the Middle East, especially since Oman is said to be (and seems, so far) a fairly safe country in general, and for foreigners especially. Obviously, being a foreigner and an American (the usual icing on the cake outside our borders) is never completely danger-free, but all the misunderstandings and little problems become negligent against the backdrop of a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
However, I came to the realization that foregoing my typhoid shot was a very bad idea. Namely, it is 'urged' instead of being simply recommended, and I decided that it was just a program precaution to avoid the anger or lawsuits of unhappy parents should any students catch typhoid fever during their time there...but now I realize that the opportunities for contracting typhoid being so abundant, it would have been really liberating to have a vaccine. Alas!
It would also be liberating to have a full suitcase of ready-to-wear clothes once I get there, but after browsing through my closet, dresser, container and pseudo-packed suitcase from last semester abroad, it became clear that I have nothing appropriate to bring along with me. Save for 2 pairs of pants, which have to be worn with a tunic because they are bell-bottoms, one sweater and multiple T-shirts, I have no clothing that I could honestly call 'appropriate'. I just never thought of myself as 'scandalous, ' but I guess I'll have to change my self-assessment!
I'm also kind of scared to be bitten by rabid animals, especially since homeless dogs so frequently seen on the streets of non-Western countries have a thing for following around and trying to bite me. Speaking from experience, after having lived in one such place for 10 years. In short, we'll see if I make it out in one piece...not because the location is dangerous, but because I am very accident-prone and rather unlucky. Oh, and add bad decision-making to the list.
I'll keep updating the blog as much as possible during my stay in Oman (internet access may be limited). Currently, I have 15 days to wrap up one semester, prepare to start another, and live a little in between ( since I'm in the best city in the entire world :)
....And encore some French soups to cook!
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment